Monday, September 1, 2008

Oh what a day!!



Well, today was a day I wish I would have just stayed in bed and tried again tomorrow! To start the day off, I had Lilly and Maggie play chutes and ladders on my bed while I cleaned up the room. I thought no harm in a board game, right? Well, not five minutes into the game, Lilly started laughing and threw her head back to drop back onto the mattress, but instead of the soft cushy landing, she hit right onto the footboard of our bed!! OUCH! So, I grabbed her and rocked her in my arms with my hand cupped around the back of her head, and I felt a wetness. I pulled my hand back and sure enough, blood. I should stop right here and say that this is my first "accident" (knock on wood) and so I should count my blessings. I went into barking orders I guess as a way to cope. My sweet neighbor, Teasha, came and got Maggie within minutes and Lilly and I spent the day in the ER.

By the time we got to the hospital, Lilly had stopped crying and halfway eaten a popcycle I had given her. The only reason for that was that for her to suck on it, she couldn't be crying and I must say it worked VERY well. So, we checked in and waited and waited and waited. The nurses came out into the waiting area and looked at her head. They said she would definately need stitches, but this was the busiest they had seen the hospital in a long time, so she would have to wait. Yep, 3 hours later we finally got a room. Lilly, bless her heart, did not cry once for that entire 3 hours. She had won the hearts of all the nurses and other people in the waiting area. People were so concerned for her and amazed at how brave she was. The nurses kept coming out and apologizing, but there were 12 ambulances at the hospital and they didn't have a room to put her.

Finally, we saw the doctor and he had a daughter Lilly's age, so really took care of her. He really won her heart when he brought out stickers of barbie, Hanna Montanna, princesses, cinderella, and 12 dancing princesses. And then came the tender mercy. . . he said that he was one of only three doctors that did this special technique in the area, but he took five strands of hair on both sides of the gash and pulled them opposite ways to close the cut and then glued it and kind of knotted the hair. He did that about 5 times across the cut, put purple glue over the top and sent us on our way. WOW. I was sick thinking about the injection to the gash to deaden the spot, the stitches, cutting/shaving the hair to give a clean workspace, etc. and we left with a bit of glue. Lilly did not flinch or grimace once as he pulled and knotted her hair. . .she was too busy looking at those 37 stickers that great doctor gave her. By the end, the wait was worth it. Now my brave warrior is sleeping peacefully in bed excited for her first day of school tomorrow. Sleep tight sweet heart.

4 comments:

Marcie said...

Holy cow... what a stressful day! Poor Lilly! I hope she's doing better. What a way to start the day before her first day of school. Well, now you've had your first ER "accident". One more and you'll be caught up to me! Ha ha. I hope she's doing alright now. That's so scary. Love your blog!

Lori said...

Merced is very concerned for sweet Lilly. Thats so cool, that the doctor fixed the "Bow Bow" the way he did. I'm sorry that you had to experience the ER. How was her first day of school?

Katy Schepis Edmondson said...

What a brave girl.
We go in Friday for Gavin to have is surgery. Lets see how he does with his stitches. Cross you fingers that the test results come back negative.

Johnson said...

What an amazingly smart doc. I hope she is feeling better by now. It is so fun to see you guys and hopefully keep up with what is happening in your lives.